Well, I'll go to the foot of my stairs...

Often startled, frequently amused, sometimes scared; rarely speechless. Can be found at witchywoo22@yahoo.co.uk

Friday, August 04, 2006

I've been tagged...

...by my dear friend Spotted Elephant for the practically impossible book meme.

I have to choose one book - yes, just one - to answer each of nine questions about books and me. How impossible is that! I'm a voracious reader - something that I attribute to the fact that I grew up in a household without TV. My siblings and I had the wonderful world of radio and books, books and more books to stimulate our imaginations and provide our escape routes. This is going to be so hard!

But here goes....

1.One book that changed your life?
Just about every book I've ever read has done that in one way or another but the one that immediately springs to mind is Illusions by Richard Bach. I was given a copy of this book by a close friend at a time when I was deeply troubled and unhappy. Nothing was said; just "here's a good little read for you" - and it is a very little read but it had a huge impact on me. It put me back in touch with parts of myself I'd all but forgotten about. It put me back on course.
I still read it whenever I'm emotionally/spiritually depleted by all the everyday shit that happens and I've given it to many of my friends whenever I've had the thought "s/he could probably do with reading Illusions".

2. One book you have read more than once?
Apart from Illusions? Letters from a War Zone by Andrea Dworkin. I love the way Andrea writes. I love her passion and her humanity. I love her outrage and her courage. I love the way her words reinforce me. This book, in particular, starkly reminds me of everything I'm fighting for.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
The Guinness Book of British Hit Singles because I'm guessing I'll be singing a fair bit while I'm making myself comfortable, fighting my fears and waiting for that rescue plane to spot me. If it doesn't turn up for ages I'm going to need to be reminded of songs I know because I'll get bored singing my all time half a dozen favourites for months on end.

4. One book that made you laugh?
Rotary Spokes by Fiona Cooper made me laugh. It also made me cry. Bloody good book.

5. One book that made you cry?
Schindler's Ark by Thomas Keanally. The capacity for cruelty, courage and kindness of the human spirit had me in tears of despair and tears of joy. Reading that book completely exhausted me.

6. One book you wish had been written?
The one I have in my head! You never know... maybe one day....

7. One book you wish had never had been written?
Probably the Bible. I don't mean to offend anyone with this but I wish the original records hadn't been manipulated and re-jigged to suit those in power at the time to produce the Bible as we know it because, in my opinion, that's caused more long-term harm to humanity than good.

8. One book you are currently reading?
One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest (again) by Ken Kesey. Just a fab book.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
I've had A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers on my bookshelf for about eight years. I bought it solely because of the title. Maybe I'll take it with me next time I go on holiday...

10. Now tag five people. I tag:
Laurelin
ReSISTERance
Alyx
Laura
Elaina

Phew! Did it!




5 Comments:

  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    6. One book you wish had been written?
    The one I have in my head! You never know... maybe one day....


    I plan to have you co-write with me in November - or atleast provide all the background so I can write with you.

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger spotted elephant said…

    What a great list of books! I love this meme-it gives me so many new books to read!

    My list started out as the Andrea Dworkin list, so I overcompensated and ended up without any of her books on mine. :(

    This meme is almost impossible-just one book for each category? Books add so much to life.

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger Z said…

    hehe that's funny because I was reading your list and thinking to myself 'I would put 'One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest'' and then I read further and see you are reading it again now! :)

    Love that book. It makes me cry and cry...

    Of late I have still been reading 'adolescent fiction' - I love Isabel Allende. I have now read her 3 adolescent fiction books and I really want to read some of her adult fiction books :)

    In the last book I just finished 'Forest of the Pygmies' Isabel Allende perfectly describes the same kind of spiritual experience I had in my late teens when I was very very unwell and all alone in the world. It made me feel so warm inside to read that and remember what it was like to be at one with the Universe.

    Also, I have to agree with you re: the Bible. The Boys are Christian but they don't really understand anything about the bible etc and they just like the 'happy stories' and they also like the idea of going to Heaven and 'the bad man' going to hell. hehe Fish tries to explain to them about it all.

    I think people 'go' where they believe. :) I also like the idea that when we die we feel every single thing we made another person feel during our lifetime. That seems good to me because if you have been a kind person you will feel mostly happiness I suppose, but most of all I like it because it seems to me that it is the only way we could experience true and full empathy. To experience what we made other people feel from the inside out. I am up for it. :) My personal belief is that we are like a jug of water taken from a vast ocean and when we die we are poured back into the ocean. We become everything, and nothing.


    Take care!

    Z

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger TNTrash said…

    Aw, snap. You DID tag me. *shuffles over to own blog*

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Sarah Louise Parry said…

    You could also use that Guinness Book of Singles as a weapon to fend off predators: have you seen the size on that book? lol

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home