Well, I'll go to the foot of my stairs...

Often startled, frequently amused, sometimes scared; rarely speechless. Can be found at witchywoo22@yahoo.co.uk

Monday, March 20, 2006

It's been a difficult few weeks...

First there was South Dakota. Then the Sentencing Guidelines Council recommending a reduction in the length of sentences for rape just days before the Home Office released it's 'consent awareness' campaign material that effectively removes women and girls as people from the entire issue....and then the expectation that they'll recommend men who abuse their partners should escape prison altogether if they can convince the court that they want to change their attitude to women....and Telewest showing Deep Throat and not paying the slightest bit of attention to the complaints they've received....and the news that pimps will be trafficking 40,000 women and girls into Germany for use by football fans during the World Cup - they're even putting up purpose built fuck-huts close to some stadiums...

And on and on and on and on......

It all contributes to that feeling of, if you're female, you Really. Don't. Matter.

It could actually get really depressing...if, as a woman, one felt alone with it all - and I'm sure there are many women out there who are keeping their heads even further down, feeling powerless to change things, feeling alone. But I'm not.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a veritable explosion of feminist thought on the internet? It's global! Women everywhere are saying what they think about the shitty deal we get from the patriarchy - and there are a lot of angry women out there. Over here, that anger is being harnessed. Laura at i'm not a feminist, but.. started an action network six days ago and already there are 36 members and 82 posts - in six days!

So I don't feel powerless. I feel like I'm part of a growing movement and this post is really just to say a huge 'thank you' to all those radfem bloggers around the world who keep my spirits up with their wit and wisdom, their rage and indignation, their humour and strength, their creativity and passion.

Oh, and it's for Kaka, too....

5 Comments:

  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Laurelin said…

    It does feel that there's a real growing radical feminist movement at the moment, which is a wonderful feeling! The sisterhood is alive and well :)

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger spotted elephant said…

    Just when I think I can't take one more story, and want to go back to bed, I remember all the other women out there who are fighting. You're so right-it's so great to not be alone. :)

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hi Big Sis!
    ((hug))
    S

     
  • At 1:23 AM, Blogger witchy-woo said…

    I'm raising my glass...

    ;)

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    Thank you Witchy :)
    YOU ARE part of a growing movement! I really believe all of us rad fem bloggers are.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home